Monday, June 8, 2015

Supporting Critical Thinking Skills



In a previous post I discussed Collaboration as the first skill I think about when I evaluate possible uses of an online tool. If I can't find a way to use a tool in a collaborative way, I may not invest much in experimenting with it.
When I evaluate a new tool to share with staff or use in my classroom I want to know how it can support and build essentials skills before I think about content. I always try start with how a tool can support one or more of the 4Cs.
Critical Thinking is another of the 4Cs that is essential for lifelong-learners.
Critical thinking - Students use critical thinking skills to plan and conduct research, manage projects, solve problems, and make informed decisions using appropriate digital tools and resources. Students will:
  • Identify and define authentic problems and significant questions for investigation.
  • Plan and manage activities to develop a solution or complete a project.
  • Collect and analyze data to identify solutions and/or make informed decisions.
  • Use multiple processes and diverse perspectives to explore alternative solutions.
With the help of my incredible PLN, I've compiled a list of tools that can support communication for students and teachers in classrooms.
Check out these resources in this collaborative Google Doc:

Please share other tools you recommend to build critical thinking skills with students and staff?

Sheldon Cooper on Critical Thinking