Tuesday, July 14, 2015

New Owner Controls for Google Drive Files

I rarely feel need to protect anything connected to my teaching and learning online. I believe that sharing my resources without restrictions is a great way to support my PLN. 
That being said, I realize that it is sometimes necessary to protect a file online. Google Drive has given educators some control over who can access a document through the sharing settings.

Today I learned that Google has added some new "Owner settings" in the advanced sharing options in Google Drive. 

Owners of a Drive file can now:
  • Prevent editors from changing access and adding new people
  • Disable options to download, print, and copy for commenters and viewers
These are two new great options for file owners who want to protect their own work, sensitive materials, and copyrighted digital resources. 

Learn more about Drive Owner Controls
Learn more about Drive Sharing Settings
Google Apps Update Post with more information