Monday, September 28, 2015

Resources to Support English Language Arts and ELL

I was lucky enough to make the time to attend #EdCamp Chicago this past Saturday. If you've never been to an #EdCamp you are missing out on something than can only be described as #AWESOME
 



I decided this year to attend at least one session that was outside of my normal comfort zone. If you've read any of my posts, you will quickly realize that my grasp of Language Arts is pretty shaky on a good day. I ain't no grammar learn write understand stuff me?

The second session I went to was title: Chrome Extensions and Apps (ELL/Special Ed). While I know a bit about Chrome Apps and Extensions, I have no good foundation in resources to support ELL and Special Education.

I walked away from the session with a bunch of great resources and ideas, but these 5 are my favorites out of the gate: 
  1. RefME WebClipper
    The RefME WebClipper is the easiest way to reference online resources. Create citations, reference lists and bibliographies directly from your browser. You can also add quotes to your reference by highlighting text on any page you visit.
    RefME Website
  2. writeabout (Website, not App or Extension.)
    Teachers: Get students WRITING. Support the writing process. Provide feedback on writing. Guide the sharing of writing. Connect with other teachers of writing. Have students write even more!
    Students: WRITE. Find creative inspiration to write. Make their writing better. Have fun writing. Share their writing. Read other students' writing. Respond to writing. Write some more.
  3. Cite This For Me: Web Citer
    Automatically create website citations in the APA, MLA, Chicago, or Harvard referencing styles at the click of a button.
  4. Google Docs Voice Typing
    Use the microphone on a device to dictate text in a Google Doc
  5. Grammarly Spell Checker & Grammar Checker
    The free Spell Checker & Grammar Checker by Grammarly helps you write clearly and confidently on Gmail, Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, Tumblr, and nearly anywhere else on the Web.
Here are the notes from the session: (I would have liked a little more direct special education tools, but most of the conversation was on Writing and Reading resources.) 

Want to learn more about some of the other great sessions at EdCamp? Here is the schedule that links to some great shared notes.

What resources do you recommend to support ELL or Special Education?