Monday, October 5, 2015

Connected Educator Month - Build Your PLN

The purpose of a Personal Learning Network is not to learn from everyone, instead the goal should be to learn something from someone. I will be the first to admit that I struggled to get started with Social Networks. In particular, I struggled with the sometimes overwhelming pace of information that can be found on networks like Twitter. When I realized that it was ok to miss something on Twitter, it became my go-to resource to grow as a teacher and learner. 

October is Connected Educator Month. I believe that every day should be a Connected Educator Day and for many of us it is. Despite this belief, I love the concept of Connected Educator Month. A month of concentrated learning and sharing helps strengthen existing Personal Learning Network connections and build new ones. Connected Educator Month is a great gateway to get more educators involved. 

Resources to  Build Your Digital PLN and Connect with Other Teachers:


Ideas to Build your Face to Face PLN

  • Go to lunch and sit with teachers from other teachers. 
  • Visit the office of another team or department to hangout or talk shop. 
  • Visit another teacher's classroom. 
  • Present at a local conference. 
  • Join and attend a professional group connected to your teaching.
  • Attend an EdCamp (This is by far my favorite!)