October is Connected Educator Month. I believe that every day should be a Connected Educator Day and for many of us it is. Despite this belief, I love the concept of Connected Educator Month. A month of concentrated learning and sharing helps strengthen existing Personal Learning Network connections and build new ones. Connected Educator Month is a great gateway to get more educators involved.
Resources to Build Your Digital PLN and Connect with Other Teachers:
- Twitter Hashtags: #ce15, #edtech, #edchat, #iplearns, and #gafe
- Guide to Twitter Hashtags
- Edublog Teacher Challenges: Building Your PLN
- Google+ Communities: GEG Chicago, ILEdChat, Connected Classrooms, ICE, and Recharge Learning
- Educational Blogs: Edudemic, Edutopia, Tools for Teachers, Teacher Tech, SimpleK12 and Mindshift
- Twitter Chats (These take some getting used to. The pace of information is often hard to keep up with, so remember you don't need to learn from everyone in a Twitter Chat.)
- Connected Educator Network
- The Teacher's Guide to Twitter
Ideas to Build your Face to Face PLN
- Go to lunch and sit with teachers from other teachers.
- Visit the office of another team or department to hangout or talk shop.
- Visit another teacher's classroom.
- Present at a local conference.
- Join and attend a professional group connected to your teaching.
- Attend an EdCamp (This is by far my favorite!)